




Lately, I've been thinking a lot about music, music I love, music from youth, music I love from youth ....
When I was in my teens, I was a bit strange ... well to be fair, I probably still fit that descriptive better than my mother would like. But, the music I loved then (as I still do) was also music my mom enjoyed. If you know me, you know that my mom (though a really cool woman), was not the "cool mom."
But my taste in music in the middle of what would be the usual time of greatest rebel attitude was Neil Diamond, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, Carole King and Cat Stevens. Several of the songs from the albums shown here could even be considered my coping mechanism during a very turbulent time in my life (not just the usual teenage angst ... but a lot of difficult things happening in my family as well).
Today, I can honestly say that singing along with Father and Son (by Cat Stevens) fills me with a kind of calm and peace that is nearly impossible for me to feel in most other settings... though I usually feel somewhat calm and peaceful, it is different. I still listen to Gordon Lightfoot more if I'm crushing on a guy ... something about his voice and lyrics is what my brain considers to be "falling for a guy" music.
My most recent musical crush is with Rob Thomas, many of his songs have similar qualities to what my other musical preferences are, with a little more grit occasionally thrown into the mix.
Something I'm not sure even my closest friends know about me ... well that would be that I really love to sing songs that have a fair amount of grit in them ... One that works well is House of the Rising Sun. It is unlikely that any of you have heard me sing that one, mainly because I usually do it as I'm driving or in the privacy of my own four walls. But I think you might be surprised, because if you have heard me sing, it is usually the church kind of stuff. Which I love as well. Just sayin' .....
No comments:
Post a Comment