Thursday, May 20, 2010

I Love My Writing Group

Almost 2 years ago I took an online class for writing Sci-Fi/Fantasy. It turns out that was one of the best investments I ever made. The class was pretty good as far as courses go, but the people taking the class were stellar.

During those weeks we got better acquainted, commented on each other's work and found common ground even though we each have different interests within the genre. As the time came to a close, a few of us really did not want the collaborative relationship to end. We formed a group and have been helping, critiquing, editing, etc. for each other ever since.

We had several months where we really didn't submit much for each other to review, but then around the beginning of 2010, Jeff helped us get a better system going, we decided together to each commit to one item per month, due (and payable - lol) on the 20th of each month (or a prior notice in case of emergency of when our item would be coming).

This system has worked wonderfully, before that I had pretty much put writing on hold (while looking for and preparing to move into my new place). Now, I have a set deadline to meet each month. It doesn't always have to be an actual chapter or short story, this month, I used my energy to put together a character profile on one of the main locations in my novel. It has really helped me have a better understanding of the "world" my characters have to live in, and that is a great thing to know when writing a story like mine.

The guys I've been blessed to share this adventure with are vastly different from me, we live in different locations, do different types of jobs, our interests within the genre are quite different as well, but all of that has created a wonderful chemistry of thoughts, questions and comments to each other. Jeff and William are the best writing companions I can imagine. Thanks guys! I may never have met you face to face, but I love you all the same!

1 comment:

  1. You rock also Janette! We couldn't do it without you and I treasure each submission and comment that you share. There are times when I find myself thinking why did you or William make a particular choice of words, but it always comes together at the end and helps me open up to other possibilities in my own writing.

    ReplyDelete